We keep working on!!
On 14 February of this year the fifth meeting of the LWS-Learning Workshop for Sustainable Environmental Protection (LWS) (pol. Workshop of Practical Skills in the Field of Environmental Sustainability) was held. The meeting, held remotely, saw the collaboration of the partners of Germany, Poland, Austria, Slovenia and Spain, collaborate and discuss to finalize a summary of the work proposed about the second half of the project.
Sustainability was addressed in a different way by each partner collaborating in the development of the project.
During the meeting Aifed has presented its research has focused its work on researching sustainability education in the hospitality and catering sector.
Through interviews and research, it was seen that in Spain, although sustainability is encouraged through laws, projects and activities to increase its use, it is still a difficult issue to apply pragmatically in, for example, the training and education of young workers in the catering and hospitality fields.
The Spanish catering sector is working to achieve the goals of Agenda 2030:
- Cooperating in objectives between hoteliers
- Quality education and training
- Gender equality
- Decent work and econonomic growth
- Actions for the climate and strong work for justice and peace
In the search for examples of sustainable catering, an example of a restaurant that deals with and pursues examples of good practice in terms of sustainability is the K&Co restaurant at Puente la Reina, 25 in Madrid. This restaurant won the National Hospitality Award for its commitment to sustainability and is the first in Spain with the highest score of the international Ecocook label, which guarantees the practices of excellence and sustainability implemented.
But other actions were encouraged, with the focus on sustainability:
- Hostellería de España, for example, have created an awareness campaign to promote actions with the aim of reducing atmospheric pollution
- #PorElClima, is an online platform, initiative in the hotel industry sector, to develop good environmental practices
- The hotel sector actively participates with Ecovidrio, to manage the recycling of glass containers
- Various actions are underway to reduce the environmental impact in many aspects such as lighting, water and air conditioning.
In order to be more conscious of our resources and to advance environmental sustainability within the catering industry, there is a need for the use of good practices regarding resource use and waste management.
The interviews carried out with the participation of representatives of the industries was the intellectual result n. 2 of the project, together with the realization of the status and scope of development of laboratory programs and practical skills in the field of environmental protection and sustainably.
The meeting also discussed how to implement the promotion and evaluation of the project.
In the next meeting, which will be held in early May, the partners will present the final versions of the training workshop programs, illustrating their work.